iPhone and Apple Watch offer some really useful features when it comes to that Health and fitness It also includes important tools to get help in the event of an accident, injury, and more. Follow along with us to find out how to make sure your Medical ID is set up or updated, along with how to customize and use iPhone SOS and Apple Watch SOS.
Medical ID and Apple Watch / iPhone SOS It can be a life saver. There is no shiny feature that you will use on a regular basis, which is why it can be easy not to set up a Medical ID, or in the case of SOS, not being sure how to use it.
Medical ID allows users to store important health information along with emergency contact details that first responders can access from the existing lock screen iPhone and Apple Watch And your Medical ID can be sent automatically to first responders when you make an emergency call (iOS 13.5 and later).
For iPhone SOS, there are three ways to activate emergency feature and two ways to use SOS on Apple Watch.
How to customize and use iPhone SOS settings
3 ways to use iPhone SOS
There are three ways to activate iPhone SOS to call emergency services. Note: You may need to manually enable SOS with hold and SOS with 5-presses features (detailed below).
- SOS with slider: Press and hold the side button and the volume button for a few seconds, then drag a file SOS emergency slider to the right
- SOS with a comment: Press and hold the side button and the volume button, and hold them until the countdown begins and an SOS call is made
- SOS with 5 pistons: Quickly press the side button on iPhone 5 times to start the countdown and call emergency services
How to customize iPhone SOS
- open the Settings app on your iPhone
- Swipe down and tap Emergency SOS
- Tap the toggle next to Call while waiting And Call five pistons To turn features on or off
- You can also leave the countdown sound alert on or off
The countdown sound is on by default, and it’s a loud and alarming tone to make sure you’re using SOS on purpose. You can also turn this feature off if you prefer to make an emergency call discreetly.
If you leave it on, the SOS countdown will not beep for 5 and 4, with 3, 2, and 1 making an alarming sound.
If you accidentally called 911, press Cancel ASAP.
How to customize Apple Watch SOS
Apple Watch doesn’t have SOS side button flicks. Instead, it features two options.
- SOS with a comment: Press and hold the side button of your Apple Watch until the countdown begins and an emergency call is made
- SOS with slider: Press and hold the side button until you see the power off screen, then use the SOS slider
Auto SOS calling is turned on by default in the Apple Watch app settings.
- open the Apple Watch app On iPhone > My Watch > scroll down to Emergency SOS or on the wearable head to Settings app > Swipe or scroll down to SOS
- Now you can switch Press the side button if desired
The Apple Watch has a countdown timer beep that is as loud as the iPhone. However, there is no option to turn it off. Even with your iPhone or Apple Watch set to silent/vibrate, a countdown alert will sound.
If you want to get a little practice in, just to feel more comfortable with the SOS feature on your iPhone and Apple Watch, just make sure to leave the two-second countdown on.
Remember, if you place an SOS call by mistake, you should be able to end it before you reach the emergency services if you call Eliminates as soon as possible.
How to set up or update a Medical ID on iPhone
- Play file health app on iPhone
- From the Summary or Browse tab, Click on your profile icon In the upper right corner
- Choose medical identity > Modify
- Enter or update your information, including if you want emergency responders to be able to see your Medical ID when the iPhone is off and share your Medical ID when you make an emergency call
- handle Finished in the upper right corner when finished
Do not forget also that you can add more than one emergency contact, in fact, you can add more than twenty contacts. I didn’t find the maximum, but I hit 25.
Register for the National Organ Donation Registry
Apple offers the option to register with the national organ donation registry, Donate Life. This is a simple and quick way to register for those interested and it travels with you, no matter what state you live in. tap on learn more Link above the button for exact details when you edit your Medical ID.
How to set up or update a Medical ID on Apple Watch
The great thing about Medical ID is that it automatically syncs from your iPhone with the connected Apple Watch, and you don’t have to do anything. If you update your information in the Health app, it should appear on your Apple Watch almost immediately.
The health Settings in the Apple Watch app are for calculating calorie burn and other health metrics and are separate from your Medical ID profile.
How to access Medical ID on iPhone and Apple Watch
To see what it looks like if someone else will need to pull your Medical ID, press and hold the side button and the volume button on recent iPhones, then swipe from left to right on the Medical ID slider.
On the Apple Watch, press and hold the side button. The Medical ID slider will be available with Off and SOS options.
Thank you for reading our guide on how to customize and use iPhone SOS, Apple Watch SOS, and Medical ID!
Read more 9to5Mac tutorials:
FTC: We use affiliate links to earn income. more.